guix-devel

Re: OpenSSL “DROWN” vulnerability & grafts

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: OpenSSL “DROWN” vulnerability & grafts
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2016 00:24:59 +0100

Efraim Flashner <address@hidden> skribis:

> address@hidden:~/workspace/guix$ time ./pre-inst-env guix package -u && time
> ./pre-inst-env guix package -u && time ./pre-inst-env guix package -u
>
> real  15m0.833s
> user  5m53.268s
> sys   1m26.056s
>
> real  14m27.095s
> user  5m50.848s
> sys   1m25.156s
>
> real  14m37.017s
> user  5m55.564s
> sys   1m30.536s
>
> so I don't think the substitute info is the part that's slowing it down.
> Conky shows me both guix hand guix-daemon working, so more likely something
> else, like figuring out the substitutions.

Terrible.  Commit d4da602 should improve the situation.  You’re welcome
to try again and report back!

address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

> A potentially disturbing thing with the new code is that it starts
> building/downloading things early, typically before it has written “The
> following derivations will be built”; see
> <http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=22139#13>.

With commit c90cb5c, the grafting code tries hard to avoid building: it
uses substitute information, when available, to determine the run-time
dependencies of packages (which in turn allows it to decide whether the
package needs to be grafted.)

Ludo’.