guix-devel

Re: Updating Vim

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: Updating Vim
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 12:35:17 +0200

On Wed, 9 Mar 2016 10:45:44 +0100
Andreas Enge <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 09, 2016 at 11:16:16AM +0200, Efraim Flashner wrote:
>  [...]
>
> Well, it is not quite a release, I would say, if they simply tag every git
> commit and do not even make sure that the tests succeed each time. Normally,
> our policy in guix is to follow "official" upstream releases.
>
> Is there a compelling reason to update nevertheless?
>
> Andreas

There was something that was not interacting well with my .vimrc, but I just
checked with 7.4 and 7.4.963 and there wasn't actually a change. Either I
stopped using some plugin that wanted a newer version or I misread it before.
"Because its 2 years old" isn't a great reason. There is a list of patches
with a 1-liner[1] for what it fixes, so I suppose for that it would be good
to have those issues taken care of, and also to have our copy of vim more
up-to-date with other distros.

[1] ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/7.4/README

--
Efraim Flashner   <address@hidden>   אפרים פלשנר