guix-devel

addresses: works around gnunet-gtk, gnunet, attention push for powwow, u

From: Nils Gillmann
Subject: addresses: works around gnunet-gtk, gnunet, attention push for powwow, un-font, general question
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2016 16:14:48 +0100

Multiple questions:
Hi,

I am curious (not impatient) about if people with commit access
are just busy and/or focused on other issues or if my way to
reply to my own messages and make threads a bit uncomfortable to
read and update information gets lost as I mainly use nntp access
via gmane.org now and don't CC people anymore.
If there's something I can do to improve this situation, I am
open for suggestions.

There's 2 fixed packages, this one with the fixed patch for the
new package un-font, which will for now be hosted at my sdf.org
account:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-03/msg00244.html
if you still spot issues, try to search the thread for a newer
one without issues as indeed, the threading became bad,

and this one for powwow, fixes all issues:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-03/msg00282.html

Then there's the recent patch for gnunet-gtk 0.10.1, a short
message exchange with Christian Grothoff, Jookia, and myself
today leads to the following conclusion which will be further
explained in a new patch series coming either today or on sunday:

- we will keep 0.10.1 (please apply the recent patch I did send)
- I will modify the description of 0.10.1 related packages of
  gnunet and gnunet-gtk to relect cg's and my conversation's
  outcome.
- gnunet will get a new, additional package, co-authored with
  Jookia, using a recent svn checkout which will be explained
  in the message send with the patch.
TL;DR in before I send them:

0.10.1 is old. There has been no new release so far because the
next one needs to be stable. CADET has open bugs which need to be
fixed to get to a new release candidate. API *and* protocol
compability will break with /newer/ versions than 0.10.1 (0.10.1
incompatible towards >0.10.1), which is why you should use SVN
when you want to test the in development network stack and the
application developed around and inside it, to get a 2 year old
version of it is bound to provide an outdated experience.

Regarding un-font and hosting:
Outcome of the conversation with IN-Berlin so far was, that due
to the nature of their project they have no common shared
infrastructure for a public download server, but my intention is
to introduce them to GuixSD at some point when it is functional
enough for production servers. Un-font file will remain on my
sdf.org space for the time being, when traffic should get too
much, I will use one of my servers and set up an access for file
hosting purposes and also upload it to more public/cdn spaces to
provide more than just one url. (then again: it's only one font
so far...)

I will be gone from thursday evening to sunday morning to the
Logan CIJ Symposium but try to get my gnunet changes finished
either before, during or afterwards.

thanks & happy hacking,
--
ng