guix-devel

Re: libtool archives introduce unwanted inputs to build

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: libtool archives introduce unwanted inputs to build
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 17:14:53 +0100

address@hidden (宋文武) skribis:

> Report by Jookia in #guix that with my gdk-pixbuf+svg patches,
> thunar still can't find SVG icons, it's linked with the old gdk-pixbuf.
>
> While the build inputs of ‘thunar’ only have ‘gdk-pixbuf+svg’, one
> of its input ‘libnotify’ was build with ‘gdk-pixbuf’.  It didn’t
> propagated it but it’s in ‘libnotify.la’.
>
> Remove ‘gdk-pixbuf’ from libnotify’s inputs or the ‘libnotify.la’ file
> will fix thunar.
>
> So libtool archives are the hidden propagated-inputs, maybe we should
> remove them all?

I don’t think so.  :-)

>From what I understand the problem is that we end up with the two
variants of gdk-pixbuf in the dependency graph, and it turns out that
it’s not the one we were hoping for that gets picked up.

The solution to this is to “debug” the dependency graph and arrange
things so that the dependency graph of GTK+ includes only one variant of
gdk-pixbuf.  (It might be that it’s easier said than done, but we have
to try!)

WDYT?

Ludo’.