guix-devel

Re: fixed the gnome forever-suspend problem

From: Albin
Subject: Re: fixed the gnome forever-suspend problem
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 22:44:07 +0100

Hello!

I'm afraid that my experience was not so good on my libreboot +
MacBook2,1 system.  Previously, I also had the forever-suspend problem
in Gnome 3 while it was working fine in Xfce.  After building from
master a few hours ago, however, I was faced with a black screen and was
forced to do a hard shutdown.

Now, the manual shutdown appears to have corrupted the file system on my
fully encrypted disk because libreboot's GRUB fails to decrypt the
drive.  More precisely I get the following error:

> Failed to decrypt master key.
> error: access denied
> error: disk `crypto0' not found.
> error: you need to load the kernel first.

Fortunately I didn't have any valuable data on the disk.

Regarding the media keys I could make the following observations before
the system became unbootable:

* Brightness controls didn't work in GNOME's control panel logged in as
user.  It did worked when logged in as root however.
* Brightness controls worked in Xfce.
* Resume after suspend had stopped working in Xfce after having worked
before the more recent power-management commits.
* In the same manner sound controls had stopped working in Xfce.
* Audio controls were working in GNOME.

It's amaaaazing how things can break some times :)

Anyway, I hope the above information will be of some use in the future.
 I will now install Parabola on the MacBook2,1 but keep GuixSD on my
desktop computer.

Happy hacking!

Albin