guix-devel

Deterministic Library Calls when Building

From: Karl Semich
Subject: Deterministic Library Calls when Building
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2016 06:04:51 -0400

Hi,

I recently learned about guix and I haven't found any information on
approaching deterministic builds by changing library and kernel
functions to have deterministic behavior.  Has anybody done this?

For example, I would imagine if I needed timestamps to no longer be a
factor, I might change how the current time is reported to the build
environment, such that it is always precisely equal to the time of
last modification of the source package.  Similarly /dev/*random
should return deterministic numbers seeded by perhaps the hash of the
source package and all dependencies.

Has there been a discussion of this somewhere?