guix-devel

Re: [REQ/DISCUSSION] patch managing system

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: [REQ/DISCUSSION] patch managing system
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 12:02:17 -0400

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 09:44:47PM -0700, Chris Marusich wrote:

> While we're talking about patches, I'm curious: how are other people
> managing the patches?  In particular, what does the workflow look like
> for people who are committing?  Do you manually download the patch (or
> patches) to a temporary folder, view it/them, and if you like what you
> see, commit it with "git am" to a local repo, then push to origin?
>
> I ask because when I see a patch on the email list, there seems to be a
> bit of manual work involved in actually committing it into a local repo.

I normally read the patches in mutt.

For application, it varies a bit depending on how many patches there are
and if they are in the same thread, from different people, etc.

For single patches I can use mutt's pipe command (press | in mutt) and
pipe to 'cd ~/guix && git am`.

If there are multiple messages, I tag the messages that contain the
patches I want to apply, and then save all the tagged messages to a
temporary mailbox ~/foo. Then, I just use `git am ~/foo`.

It gets a bit messy if contributors have not used git-send-email.

I bet this workflow be improved with some macros, or by using Emacs ;)
But, applying patches is definitely not a bottleneck for me yet.