guix-devel

Re: GSoC ideas

From: myglc2
Subject: Re: GSoC ideas
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 15:07:50 -0400

> Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> Maybe we should have a place to collect ideas?
>
> What about creating a page at <https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix>?
>
>> Anyway, here would be my top items for GSoC:
>>
>>  - An installer wizard (written in Guile of course!)
>
> For GuixSD I guess?  Sounds like good idea, of course.

Possibly out of scope, but, I have found that there are many ways to
install Guix. It would help to simplify this. what if this installer
could do something like this:

Examine the environment & determine the possible ways that Guix and/or
GuixSD can be installed and then walk the user through choices:

- netboot?
 - fdisk & GuixSD?
- GNU/Linux system?
 - ?root user?
  - install Guix?
  - put GuixSD netboot on USB?
  - install GuixSD to disk?
  - install GuixSD dual boot?
 - running in user space?
  - guix installed?
   - set up git clone?
  - guix not present?
   - can you sudo?
    - yes - got to '?root user' above
    - no
     - install Guix in user space?
     - put GuixSD netboot on USB?

At the end of the process, the user-lever user should have a functioning
Guix setup in which all guix features described in the manual are
working, (except those requiring root, e.g. guix system reconfigure).