guix-devel

Re: [GSoC] Draft of my proposition

From: Jookia
Subject: Re: [GSoC] Draft of my proposition
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 10:11:53 +1100

On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 10:45:05PM +0000, address@hidden wrote:
> I want to add IPFS as an option, not as the only way to download stuff. It
> might be better for privacy-conscious people to use http over Tor.

Perhaps, though I think it's worth thinking about if this issue is solvable for
now. If an IPFS implementation is widely used and solves a lot of load issues, I
can see it becoming the most commonly used option with tools relying on this
functionality, especially for people running their own build servers and only
using IPFS. Once in to the situation that a tool works for most people and it
becomes a defacto standard it's very hard to get people to use other tools,
especially if it would mean we'd end up running three networks: HTTP, IPFS and
whatever p2p option there is that both Tor users and non-Tor users can use.

> A company or any large install could run IPFS/Guix in a LAN, with a build
> server, which would bring *huge* performance gains while being private.

Why would they need IPFS in LAN if they have a build server?

Jookia.