guix-devel

python general question (setup.py)

From: Nils Gillmann
Subject: python general question (setup.py)
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 23:02:20 +0100

I have a question on python.
My theory is that this is true:
If I write a setup.py and contribute it to a project because I
want to make an "easier"[1] install in Guix and elsewhere,
I feed the "one packagemanager per language" thing.

Is setup.py the equivalent of a package manager in python or does
it serve more purposes? I would like to know if I want to follow
my current task in either fixing the setup.py I started for the
upcoming bitmessage 0.6 release or if I want to write a Guix
package without using out python-setup-tools which require
setup.py to be present.

[1]: I already figured out how I could be just faster in writing
a Guix package rather than the ~60 lines of setup.py I already
have.

--
ng
personal contact: http://krosos.sdf.org