guix-devel

Re: python general question (setup.py)

From: Cyril Roelandt
Subject: Re: python general question (setup.py)
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 23:31:48 +0100

On 03/25/2016 11:02 PM, Nils Gillmann wrote:
> I have a question on python.
> My theory is that this is true:
> If I write a setup.py and contribute it to a project because I
> want to make an "easier"[1] install in Guix and elsewhere,
> I feed the "one packagemanager per language" thing.

Not really. You can use setup.py without pip. Think of setup.py as some
kind of Makefile for Python.

> Is setup.py the equivalent of a package manager in python or does
> it serve more purposes? I would like to know if I want to follow
> my current task in either fixing the setup.py I started for the
> upcoming bitmessage 0.6 release or if I want to write a Guix
> package without using out python-setup-tools which require
> setup.py to be present.

No, the equivalent of a package manager is "pip", which uses packages
from pypi.python.org.

If we are talking about
https://bitmessage.org/wiki/Compiling_instructions , I must say the
installation instructions are a bit weird for a Python project.

Cyril.