guix-devel

Re: [GSoC] Draft proposal for an Install Wizard for Guix

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: [GSoC] Draft proposal for an Install Wizard for Guix
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2016 19:25:54 -0400

On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 02:30:22PM -0400, myglc2 wrote:
> Thomas Ingram <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On 03/26/2016 07:39 AM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> >> Personally, I would like to view the “wizard” as a helper, and not as
> >> something that hides everything and turns people into “end users.”
>
> Wow, Ludo, what do you have against "end users"?

Speaking for myself, one thing that I like about Guix and GuixSD are
that they make it relatively easy to learn and alter the system, at
least compared to some other GNU / Linux operating systems.

By encouraging users to learn how to alter their system, they will
unwittingly become computer programmers, which I think is beneficial for
software freedom. I'd prefer that to a world where only 1% of people
have the ability to effect change in software (the current situation).

I understand the situation is not a dichotomy; our system should not be
unnecessarily difficult to use.