guix-devel

Re: Patches to add s3cmd and python-magic

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: Patches to add s3cmd and python-magic
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 22:35:42 +0200

> * Do I need to provide setuptools as a native input, or will it be
>   pulled in automatically?

I think you need to provide it. Try removing it. Does your package still build?

> * Does setuptools really need to be a native input, or can it be a
>   regular input?  I understand that native inputs are important for
>   cross-compiling, but does this apply to a language like Python which
>   compiles to bytecode for a virtual machine?

If it's used only at build time, it's a native input. If it's used at runtime,
regular input (if possible).
I don't think setuptools is running when s3cmd is running, so just have it as a
native input.

As for the cross-compiling, you're right, I don't think it's important in this
case.

However, I think for documentation purposes it would still be nice to see which
of the things are required only for the build (the native inputs - after all,
they wouldn't work at runtime in general).

> * In the package definition for python2-s3cmd, should python2-magic be a
>   propagated input instead of a regular input?  It seems to work as a
>   normal input, so I think the answer is "no", but I understand that
>   sometimes this matters for python packages.

If it works as a regular input, that's even better, so keep it only as regular
input. Unfortunately, that's very seldom.

The propagated input would mean that when you ask for package A in your
profile, you'd get package A and B in your profile, for your own good.

When testing s3cmd, make sure that python2-magic is not in your profile (for
example installed manually via guix package -i python2-magic).