guix-devel

Re: Patches to add s3cmd and python-magic

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Patches to add s3cmd and python-magic
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 22:37:48 -0700

Danny Milosavljevic <address@hidden> writes:

>> * Do I need to provide setuptools as a native input, or will it be
>>   pulled in automatically?
>
> I think you need to provide it. Try removing it. Does your package still
> build?

When I remove setuptools as a native input, the build for python-magic
succeeds, but fails for python2-magic.  I guess it's getting pulled in
implicitly in one case, but not the other.  Either way, I think it makes
sense to declare the dependency explicitly as a native input.

> As for the cross-compiling, you're right, I don't think it's important in
> this case.
>
> However, I think for documentation purposes it would still be nice to
> see which of the things are required only for the build (the native
> inputs - after all, they wouldn't work at runtime in general).

That makes sense.  Thanks for explaining.

>> * In the package definition for python2-s3cmd, should python2-magic be a
>>   propagated input instead of a regular input?  It seems to work as a
>>   normal input, so I think the answer is "no", but I understand that
>>   sometimes this matters for python packages.
>
> If it works as a regular input, that's even better, so keep it only as
> regular input. Unfortunately, that's very seldom.

It works as a regular input.  It seems that it works as a regular input
because the s3cmd program is wrapped using the wrap-program procedure
From guix/build/utils.scm, which the python-build-system uses to set up
the PYTHONPATH appropriately.

> When testing s3cmd, make sure that python2-magic is not in your
> profile (for example installed manually via guix package -i
> python2-magic).

Good call.  I did this, and I can confirm that it works even when
python2-magic is not installed in my profile.

Thank you for the feedback!

--
Chris