guix-devel

Re: MAME emulator is giving incentive to use non-free software

From: rain1
Subject: Re: MAME emulator is giving incentive to use non-free software
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 12:35:12 +0100

On 2016-03-29 09:25, Jookia wrote:
On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 09:30:40AM +0200, Jean Louis wrote:
I cannot understand the rationalization and justifications based on the
single fact how WINE/MAME or other similar emulators are free software
by themselves, and that is the only reason to include them, but let us
avoid all the reality about that, that those platforms are being
developed for the major purpose of running non-free software. It does
not play alone. It is hypocrisy.

I think this might be my last email since they don't seem to be forming any kind of discussion, so I'll leave this question: Should we ship Linux-libre with virtualization support? From what I know there's only a handful of systems out there that can run it without proprietary blobs in its BIOS updates. What about virtualization with PCI passthrough support, primarily used for video games?

Jean Louis

Jookia.

I guess I should say a couple things since this all came about when I mentioned I packaged MAME <https://notabug.org/rain1/pkgs/src/master/rain/mame.scm> for guix, since it recently switched to GPL2.

My opinion on this is pretty simple: MAME is free software.

I don't mind if it goes into guix packages tree or not - to be honest it doesn't seem that great an idea. The compile time is huge and the output is a 160MB binary. That would use up resources from build farms that could be better spent on core libraries like libc, gcrypt, openssl, ...

MAME, Wine, Qemu and GNU/linux-libre all have the following in common: You can use them to run non free software. While they can all also be used to run free software I don't think this is important. Here's why: The freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose (freedom 0).