guix-devel

Re: MAME emulator is giving incentive to use non-free software

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: MAME emulator is giving incentive to use non-free software
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 19:29:22 +0200

Hello,

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 06:15:43PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> There’s compliance officer going to tell us whether a proposed extension
> to the FSDG is good or not.  The FSDG are community rules, not a law.

When I referred to legality, that was in regards to trademark issues, as
Nintendo® and MAME® are registered trademarks with US Patent and
Trademark Office.

Nintendo is very aggressive towards protecting their rights, as you can
see on the links:

https://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp#emulator

And you can see on simple search that Nintendo is really doing that:

https://duckduckgo.com/html?q=nintendo+emulator+infringement&t=gnu

If a package is included in the GuixSD distribution that is named as
below, it clearly uses trademark in such manner that it can be
attacked.

That is what you need to check with attorneys, to either confirm what I
am claiming, or reject my claims. Do you understand?

guix package --show=nestopia-ue
name: nestopia-ue
version: 1.46.2
outputs: out
systems: x86_64-linux i686-linux armhf-linux mips64el-linux
dependencies: ao-1.2.0 glu-9.0.0 gtk+-3.18.2 libarchive-3.1.2
mesa-11.0.9
+ pkg-config-0.29 sdl2-2.0.4 zlib-1.2.8
location: gnu/packages/games.scm:1766:2
homepage: http://0ldsk00l.ca/nestopia/
license: GPL 2+
synopsis: Nintendo Entertainment System (NES/Famicom) emulator
+ Entertainment System (NES/Famicom) emulator Nestopia, with
enhancements from
+ members of the emulation community.  It provides highly accurate
emulation.