guix-devel

Re: loudmouth, freetalk

From: Nils Gillmann
Subject: Re: loudmouth, freetalk
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 21:28:01 +0200

Jean Louis <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> here are 2 packages: loudmouth as prerequisite for freetalk, the command
> line jabber client.
>
> My knowledge is not sufficient to make it work yet. If somebody can help
> on correcting this and including freetalk with SSL/TLS in the GuixSD
>
> Thanks
> Jean Louis

Hello, thanks for packaging.

In addition to the ones commented below, here are some general
improvements:

Try to find an existing file it fits into, like for example
gnu/packages/messaging.scm and include any kind of name, legal or
pseudonym, in the header of the file after the last name in the
list.

> ;;; GNU Guix --- Functional package management for GNU
> ;;; Copyright @ 2016
> ;;;
> ;;; This file is part of GNU Guix.
> ;;;
> ;;; GNU Guix is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
> ;;; under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
> ;;; the Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or (at
> ;;; your option) any later version.
> ;;;
> ;;; GNU Guix is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
> ;;; WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
> ;;; MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
> ;;; GNU General Public License for more details.
> ;;;
> ;;; You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
> ;;; along with GNU Guix.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.
>
> (define-module (gnu packages loudmouth)
>   #:use-module (guix licenses)
>   #:use-module (guix packages)
>   #:use-module (guix download)
>   #:use-module (guix build-system gnu)
>   #:use-module (gnu packages)
>   #:use-module (gnu packages autotools)
> ;;  #:use-module (gnu packages guile)
>   #:use-module (gnu packages glib)
>   #:use-module (gnu packages tls)
>   #:use-module (gnu packages pkg-config)
> ;  #:use-module (gnu packages readline)
>                                       ;  #:use-module (gnu packages ncurses)
>   )
>
> (define-public loudmouth
>   (package
>     (name "loudmouth")
>     (version "1.4.3")
>     (source (origin
>              (method url-fetch)
>              (uri (string-append
>                     "http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/loudmouth/1.4";
>                     "/loudmouth-" version ".tar.bz2"))

               (uri (string-append
                      "http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/"; name
                      "/1.4/" name "-" version ".tar.bz2"))
               In addition: there might be an mirror:// thing for
               gnome ftp

>              (sha256
>               (base32
>                "1qr9z73i33y49pbpq6zy7q537g0iyc8sm56rjf0ylwcv01fkzacm"))))
>     (build-system gnu-build-system)
>     (inputs
>      `(("automake" ,automake)
>        ("autoconf" ,autoconf)
>        ("libtool" ,libtool)
>        ("glib" ,glib)
>        ("openssl" ,openssl)
>        ("pkg-config" ,pkg-config)
>        ;("readline" ,readline)
>                                       ;("ncurses" ,ncurses)
>        ))

         no parens on a single line,
         move them to the last uncommented line of code,
         ("pkg-config" ,pkg-config))) in this case.

>      (arguments
>       `(#:configure-flags
>       (list "--with-ssl=openssl")))
>     (home-page "http://www.imendio.com/projects/loudmouth";)
>     (synopsis "Loudmouth is a lightweight Jabber client library written in
> C/Glib.")
>     (description
>      "Loudmouth is a lightweight and easy-to-use C library for
> programming with the Jabber protocol. It's designed to be easy to get
> started with and yet extensible to let you do anything the Jabber
> protocol allows. The goal is to fully support Linux, *BSD, Mac OSX and
> Windows. It has currently only been tested on Linux (Red Hat 8.0,
> Debian Unstable) and FreeBSD that I know of. If someone with access to
> other machines can provide feedback I would be most grateful.")

You should check this with ./pre-inst-env guix lint, there are
some errors I can't check at the moment, the one I see is that
spacing between period and start of next sentence must be 2
whitespaces as in:

"Bla bla bla bla.  I know bla bla"

>     (license lgpl2.1+)))
> loudmouth

What is this for?

> ;;; GNU Guix --- Functional package management for GNU
> ;;; Copyright © 2016
> ;;;
> ;;; This file is part of GNU Guix.
> ;;;
> ;;; GNU Guix is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
> ;;; under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
> ;;; the Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or (at
> ;;; your option) any later version.
> ;;;
> ;;; GNU Guix is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
> ;;; WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
> ;;; MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
> ;;; GNU General Public License for more details.
> ;;;
> ;;; You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
> ;;; along with GNU Guix.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.
>
> (define-module (gnu packages freetalk)
>   #:use-module (guix licenses)
>   #:use-module (guix packages)
>   #:use-module (guix download)
>   #:use-module (guix build-system gnu)
>   #:use-module (gnu packages)
>   #:use-module (gnu packages autotools)
>   #:use-module (gnu packages guile)
>   #:use-module (gnu packages glib)
>   #:use-module (gnu packages pkg-config)
>   #:use-module (gnu packages readline)
>   #:use-module (gnu packages ncurses))
>
> (define-public freetalk
>   (package
>     (name "freetalk")
>     (version "4.1")
>     (source (origin
>              (method url-fetch)
>              (uri (string-append
>                     "https://github.com/GNUFreetalk/freetalk/archive/v";
>                     version "/freetalk-" version ".tar.gz"))

               (uri (string-append
                     "https://github.com/GNUFreetalk/"; name "/archive/v"
                     version "/" name "-" version ".tar.gz"))

>              (sha256
>               (base32
>                "1rmrn7a1bb7vm26yaklrvx008a9qhwc32s57dwrlf40lv9gffwny"))))
>     (build-system gnu-build-system)
>     (inputs
>      `(("automake" ,automake)
>        ("autoconf" ,autoconf)
>        ("libtool" ,libtool)
>        ("guile" ,guile-2.0)
>        ("glib" ,glib)
>        ("pkg-config" ,pkg-config)
>        ("readline" ,readline)
>        ("ncurses" ,ncurses)))
>     (arguments
>      `(#:phases (alist-cons-after
>                'unpack 'boostrap
>                (lambda _
>                  (zero? (system* "sh" "autogen.sh")))
>                %standard-phases)))
>     (home-page "http://gnufreetalk.github.io/";)
>     (synopsis "GNU Freetalk is a command-line Jabber/XMPP chat client.")
>     (description
>      "GNU Freetalk is a command-line Jabber/XMPP chat client. It
> notably uses the Readline library to handle input, so it features
> convenient navigation of text as well as tab-completion of buddy
> names, commands and English words. It is also scriptable and
> extensible via Guile.")

Same as above, spaces between sentences.

--
ng
personal contact: http://krosos.sdf.org