guix-devel

Re: NEWS for 0.10.0

From: Jookia
Subject: Re: NEWS for 0.10.0
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 13:39:15 +1100

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 10:01:16PM -0400, Rastus Vernon wrote:
> Yes, the Contributor Covenant does not fit the GNU project's ideals
> very well. It is also my opinion that it is too political. I think we
> want a code of conduct which ensures we have a nice community, not one
> that makes us take political stances not related to free software.
>
> I like the GNOME Code Of Conduct, but also want to suggest the Debian
> Code of Conduct[1], which is more detailed, not political and fits this
> project very well since Debian has similar ideas to ours on free
> software (at least more than the Contributor Covenant), and is a
> distribution like GuixSD.
>
> The current code of conduct hasn't been there for long and changing it
> wouldn't cost anything. :)
>
> [1]: https://www.debian.org/code_of_conduct

To join in the discussion, having a code of conduct at all is a political move.
We can't just make something apolitical, trying to make a safe space is always
going to repel people based on their political want to be jerks.

I don't like the GNOME Code of Conduct since it's not officially enforced, and
much like copyleft it makes it functionally useless. It also doesn't have
concrete examples of what is bad behaviour. Debian's also suffers from that.
Neither of them assign responsibility to project maintainers either.

I understand a code of conduct is always going to be controversial but why have
one at all if it lets bad behaviour flourish?

Jookia.