guix-devel

Re: service: make hidden-service an alias of onion service

From: Nils Gillmann
Subject: Re: service: make hidden-service an alias of onion service
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2016 17:35:27 +0200

address@hidden writes:

>> At <https://blog.torproject.org/category/tags/onion-services>, I see
>> that “Tor developers use the terms "hidden services" and "onion
>> services" interchangeably.”  No evidence that there’s a incentive to
>> use “onion services”, or did I miss it?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ludo’.
>
> Looking at the ‘hidden-services’ tag as well:
>
> https://blog.torproject.org/category/tags/hidden-services
>
> led me to this blog post:
>
> https://blog.torproject.org/blog/hidden-service-hackfest-arlington-accords
>
> which states:
>
> | We talked about rebranding the "Hidden Services" project to "Onion
> | Services" to reduce "hidden"/"dark"/"evil" name connotations, and
> | improve terminology. In fact, [we've been on this for a while][1], but
> | we are still not sure what the right name is. What do you think?
>
> [1]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2015-February/008256.html
>
> I don’t know what the current consensus is though.  I guess variables
> with both names should be provided.

I have another request question lined up for the tor-talk list, I
will ask if there's an official consensus. If there's none I
say we delay it until the point in time when it changes.

sidenote:
Hooray, gmane fails to filter some messages correctly. Maybe I
just switch away from it again.

--
ng
personal contact: http://krosos.sdf.org