guix-devel

Re: Patches to add emacs-rfcview and emacs-ffap-rfc-space

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: Patches to add emacs-rfcview and emacs-ffap-rfc-space
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2016 12:29:08 +0300

Chris Marusich (2016-04-04 03:58 +0300) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The attached patches add some useful modules for reading RFCs (and STDs)
> in Emacs.

Overall the patches look good to me, thanks!  But there is a problem
with both packages: the URL of the origin does not point to a versioned
file, so when the author will touch the source, the hash will be changed
and our package will not work anymore.  I suppose there are no mirrors
where we can fetch the "constant" source code, so we probably have to
live with this, but it is a potential problem-maker.

> To take full advantage of them (e.g., read RFCs from a local
> directory), you need to make some straightforward modifications to your
> ~/.emacs file which are described in comments within the elisp modules.

I think that for ffap-rfc-space, no changes in .emacs need to be done,
as the generated "ffap-rfc-space-autoloads.el" file contains the
required modification for ffap command.

Unluckily, rfcview.el package does not have an autoload cookie for
adjusting 'auto-mode-alist' as it is described there, so this
modification has to be done by a user.  But this is easy to fix, so if
you wish to contact with the maintainer you may ask him to make this
change (as it is done, for example, in csv-mode¹).

¹
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/elpa.git/tree/packages/csv-mode/csv-mode.el#n354

--
Alex