guix-devel

Re: shepherd, default /etc/shepherd.scm for other distributions

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: shepherd, default /etc/shepherd.scm for other distributions
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 21:21:40 +0300

Jean Louis (2016-04-12 14:52 +0300) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> According to the page https://www.gnu.org/software/shepherd/ this
> mailing list should be right for shepherd.
>
> Shepherd could be a good replacement on other GNU/Linux distributions
> for the PID 1 and management of various services. It is now used in
> GuixSD, which is good.
>
> I am searching for a sample shepherd /etc/shepherd.scm to be run on
> other distributions. If anyone has such file, just a sample, for one
> service, with the recent shepherd version, let me know. It would be
> enough.

I don't think anyone uses shepherd as PID 1 on non-GuixSD system, though
some people use it to manage user services (see below).  For a system
config example you may look at "/var/guix/profiles/system/boot" on
GuixSD: there is a link to "/gnu/store/…-shepherd.conf" file.

User Shepherd configs I'm aware of:

https://github.com/alezost/shepherd-config
https://git.dthompson.us/dotfiles.git/blob/HEAD:/dotfiles/.config/shepherd/init.scm

--