guix-devel

Proposal: Prefix "java-" for Java packages

From: Hartmut Goebel
Subject: Proposal: Prefix "java-" for Java packages
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 15:52:06 +0200

Hi,

I propose the following specification:

To avoid confusion and naming clashes with other programming languages,
it's desirable that the name of a package for a Java package contains
the word "java". If a project already contains the word java, we drop
this; for instance, the module ffmpeg-java is packaged under the name
java-ffmpeg.

Java programs standing for themselves are named as any other package,
using the lowercase upstream name.

Rational:

Like other programming languages (R, Perl, Python, guile, etc.), java
has a huge collection of packages/classes. On current distributions I
always get confused by names like "felix" or "germonimo" which are not
know to me. So to avoid confusion and to be consistent with the other
programming languages, I suggest prefixing Java packages with "java-".

The specification above is modeled after the one for Python and Perl
packages.

As of now, gnu/packages/java.scm contains only four definitions (swt,
ant, incedtea-6 and icedtea-7), three of which are applications. So only
"swt" would be affected when introducing this *now*.

Comments are welcome.

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel