guix-devel

Re: [REQ/DISCUSSION] patch managing system

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [REQ/DISCUSSION] patch managing system
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2016 13:13:37 +0200

address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

> The best patch-tracking candidate I’ve seen so far is “patches”, written
> by/for the QEMU people (the ‘patches’ package in Guix.)
>
>   https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/packages/#patches
>
> I think it has everything most of us want, including an Emacs interface.
>
> The main “difficulty” is setting it up on a machine where it can serve
> those patches.json files over HTTP based on the mailing list archive
> (which could be synced from <ftp://lists.gnu.org/guix-devel/>) and Git
> repo.  There’s a README in the the source tree that explains the
> details:
>
>   https://github.com/aliguori/patches/blob/master/README-server.md

As an experiment (it may disappear anytime), I generated the
‘patches.json’ file for “patches”, so you can now run:

  guix package -i patches
  patches fetch https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org/patches/patches.json
  patches list status:committed

The “documentation” is at:

  https://github.com/aliguori/patches/blob/master/README.md

The project appears to be inactive though.  :-/

For the record, on the server side, updating involves fetching the
mailing list archive, converting it to Maildir, updating the notmuch
database, the Git repo, and then the patch list (pheew!):

top_dir="$HOME/patches"
maildir="$top_dir/mail"
checkout="$top_dir/guix"
date_month="`date +'%Y-%m'`"

cd "$top_dir"
wget -q -O "$date_month" "ftp://lists.gnu.org/guix-devel/$date_month";
mb2md -s "$top_dir/$date_month" -d "$maildir"
notmuch new
(cd "$checkout"; git pull)
patches scan

Ludo’.