guix-devel

Proposal: Adding unversioned aliases to python3 binaries

From: Hartmut Goebel
Subject: Proposal: Adding unversioned aliases to python3 binaries
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2016 16:42:15 +0200

Hi,

I'm stepping into problems packaging python modules again and again
since Python 3.4 is not available  as `python`. Same for pip, and other
binaries in the python-3 package.

I propose
a) for python 3: adding symlinks from the unversioned binary name (e.b.
python) to the versioned
   ones (e.g. python3.4).
b) for python 2: adding symlinks from version binary names to unversion
ones -- for symmetry.

I'd appreciate if somebody more skilled in guix could implement this
(soon :-), so I could continue packaging stuff required for testing the
django framework.

Here is a list of required aliases for python 3:

easy_install-3.4 -> easy_install
idle -> idle3.4
pip -> pip3.4
pydoc -> pydoc3.4