guix-devel

Re: Reorganizing guix package commands

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Reorganizing guix package commands
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 15:35:50 +0200

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 09:03:30AM -0400, Thompson, David wrote:
     I'm with Ricardo.  Separating things into things for "users" and
     things for "developers" just re-establishes the dichotomy that we
     intend to blur, and insist isn't really there in the first place.  We
     want to encourage users to hack the system, not cordon off a section
     of tools and say "these aren't for you."  Surely there are
     improvements that can be made without sacrificing this.  The
     conventional school of usability is not focused on making users more
     computer literate, so we need to take a different route.

I do take your point here, and I am fully in agreement that the distinction
between users and developers is an artificial one which we should not maintain.
But there are always going to be categories of tasks which are closely related
to one another, other tasks which are only loosely related and some which are
not related at all.

The idea is to make the user interface intuitive, not to dissuade people from
using them.

J'

--
Avoid eavesdropping.  Send strong encryted email.
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3