guix-devel

Re: Reorganizing guix package commands

From: myglc2
Subject: Re: Reorganizing guix package commands
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 09:51:33 -0400

"Thompson, David" <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm with Ricardo.  Separating things into things for "users" and
> things for "developers" just re-establishes the dichotomy that we
> intend to blur, and insist isn't really there in the first place.  We
> want to encourage users to hack the system, not cordon off a section
> of tools and say "these aren't for you."

On this point you Guix developers are so didactic that you run a real
risk of making Guix adoption self-limiting :-(

And you misunderstand what I am proposing. Instead I am saying that
restructuring the interface can make it easier for a novice to find
their way in. Once this novice is using Guix, the same structuring will
help them find and use other parts of Guix.

This actually advances your objective because it brings more potential
"system hackers" into the user base.  How is this bad?