guix-devel

Re: Reorganizing guix package commands

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Reorganizing guix package commands
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 15:55:43 +0200

Alex Kost <address@hidden> writes:

> Here is the summary of the changes I think it would be good to have:
>
> | Replace this:                     | With this:                        |
> |-----------------------------------+-----------------------------------|
> | guix build                        | guix package build                |
> | guix edit                         | guix package definition¹          |
> | guix import                       | guix package import               |
> | guix lint                         | guix package lint                 |
> | guix refresh                      | guix package refresh              |
> | guix package --show               | guix package show                 |
> | guix package --search             | guix package search               |
> | guix package --list-available     | guix package list                 |
> |-----------------------------------+-----------------------------------|
> | guix package --list-generations   | guix profile --list-generations   |
> | guix package --list-installed     | guix profile --list-installed     |
> | guix package --delete-generations | guix profile --delete-generations |
> | guix package --switch-generations | guix profile --switch-generations |
> | guix package --roll-back          | guix profile --roll-back          |
> | guix package --manifest           | guix profile --manifest           |
>
> ¹ "edit" name is confusing: <http://bugs.gnu.org/22587>

This looks like a good list of changes, especially the “profile” stuff.
I’ve often written “guix profile” only to backtrack and write “package”
when my mind was set on manipulating profiles.

When operating on profiles other than the default this may look a bit
ugly:

    guix profile --profile /path/to/profile --manifest

I agree that “edit” may be confusing, and it seems that others feel that
way too, judging from the requests for help on the mailing lists and the
IRC channel.  Although “definition” isn’t pretty it is probably better
than “view” as that would collide with “show”.

~~ Ricardo