guix-devel

Re: Reorganizing guix package commands

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: Reorganizing guix package commands
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 05:49:39 +0300

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 11:29:25AM +0200, Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer wrote:

> >> Maybe instead of --list-generations and others, these options should
> >> transform into subcommands (list-generations) of "guix profile".
> >
> > I agree.  But what should we do of transactions?
>
> I'd like to re-propose the use of '--' to delineate the end of arguments
> to a sub-command.  E.g.:
>
>   guix install foo bar -- remove baz bat
>
> (Leaving aside whether it's 'guix install', 'guix package install',
> 'guix profile add', or anything else.)
>
> Taylan

Currently you can already call

    guix package -i foo bar -r baz

and it'll install and remove packages as you'd expect. Another option
that'll cut down on the length of the command but keep it obvious what's
going on is if it were changed to

    guix profile +foo +bar -baz

--
Efraim Flashner   <address@hidden>   אפרים פלשנר