guix-devel

Re: GuixSD encrypted root?

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: GuixSD encrypted root?
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 03:24:13 +0200

Hi,

> Or, as Leo suggests, it could be that shepherd starts the device-mapping
> service, which runs “cryptsetup luksOpen”, which never completes because
> you don’t know it’s waiting for you to enter a passphrase.

I doubt that it's that. The only change I have to do for it to work just fine
is to add "(mount? #f)". So I suspect that the cryptsetup works. (The only
thing I have to type manually is "mount /x" later - and that works, too)

But I didn't know that Guix would run fsck on guix reconfigure. Maybe I just
have to wait longer as it's a huge partition (with almost nothing on it,
though). Also, I've checked gnu/services/base.scm and it seems to hard-code
e2fsprogs. I use btrfs, though.

My config (which is working fine because of the "(mount #f)") is:

(define dayas-sys (mapped-device
                         (source (uuid "cedd378f-329c-44c4-ab40-f74f0c1701a2"))
                         (target "dayas-sys")
                         (type luks-device-mapping)))

(operating-system
  ;; ...
  (mapped-devices (list dayas-sys))
  (file-systems (cons* (file-system
                        (device "/dev/sda1")
                        (title 'dayas:/)
                        (mount-point "/")
                        (type "ext4")
                        (needed-for-boot? #t))
                       (file-system
                        (device "/dev/mapper/dayas-sys")
                        (mount-point "/x")
                        (type "btrfs")
                        (needed-for-boot? #f)
                        (mount? #f) ; otherwise does not work.
                        (dependencies (list dayas-sys)))
                       %base-file-systems))
  ;...
)

How come yours doesn't have a "dependencies" entry? Is it somehow computed by
examining the "device" (/dev/mapper/...) entry?