guix-devel

Re: [aspell-devel] ASPELL_CONF isn't honored by the 'aspell_provider_lis

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] ASPELL_CONF isn't honored by the 'aspell_provider_list_dicts' function of enchant
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 18:20:01 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I fail to see how this is an issue with Aspell. It looks like more of an issue with enchant. Is there something Aspell can be doing differently?

Thanks,
Kevin Atkinson
Maintainer of Aspell

On Mon, 25 Apr 2016, 宋文武 wrote:

Hi!  I have some problems to package gspell for GNU Guix, and I think it's
the issue of aspell...

In Guix, aspell and every dict are installed in seperated directory (prefix),
and then symlink together into a profile.  We have wraped the aspell
executable with `ASPELL_CONF=dict-dir $HOME/.guix-profile' to let it
finding dicts:
 <http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/aspell.scm#n110>

But the GNOME gspell, which is a GObject API wrapper upon enchant,
uses 'aspell_provider_list_dicts' (similiar to the list-dicts.c example)
to find all aspell dicts, where the ASPELL_CONF variable is not honored
at all.  Even with dicts avaliable in the dict-dir specidied by ASPELL_CONF,
gspell reports none.

The list-dicts example have this issue too.  shouldn't the default
AspellConfig returned by new_aspell_config honor ASPELL_CONF?
Or, maybe there are better way to handle dict localtions?
I'd be very happy to use a variable like ASPELL_DICT_DIRS :-)