guix-devel

Re: Package ruby-ansi appears to be broken

From: Ben Woodcroft
Subject: Re: Package ruby-ansi appears to be broken
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2016 22:45:23 +1000

Hi Rob,

On 27/04/16 20:39, Rob Syme wrote:
Hi all

Running `guix environment --ad-hoc ruby-ansi` fails for me (and others). The package definition uses the ruby-build-system but fetches the tar.gz directly from github instead of from rubygems. I'll try and find time to have a closer look, but if Ricardo has any time, he might be able to debug it faster than me.

I think this the error is very similar to that described here, and occurs during 'gem install'
https://github.com/rubygems/rubygems/issues/1448

which is fixed in rubygems 2.5.2. Today a new version of ruby was released, but sadly, comes with rubygems 2.5.1. So, I think this means we will need to either incorporate the patch(es) that fix this into the ruby package, or package rubygems alongside ruby somehow. Or, since there is only a problem during build time, perhaps clobber the gem from the ruby package with a rubygems package during build time. Unless you have any better ideas?

Thanks for reporting this.
ben