guix-devel

Re: Ungrafting

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Ungrafting
Date: Mon, 02 May 2016 09:34:34 -0400

Leo Famulari <address@hidden> writes:

> When committing a bug fix with a graft, I think it would be a good idea
> to follow up on some other branch with a commit that makes the same
> change without a graft.
>
> Core-updates was suggested on IRC. This would mean that after each graft
> commit, master would need to be merged into core-updates, and then the
> "ungrafting" patch could be applied.

Merging those two will be awkward.  In my experience, the result of git
automatically merging these two commits is to update the main package
*and* to graft it.  For this reason, I think it's preferable for the
ungrafted commit to be on top of the grafted one, i.e. it should remove
the graft and update the origin package in a single commit.

In practice, this means that after applying the graft to master, master
should be merged into core-updates before applying the ungrafting commit
to core-updates.

What do you think?

      Mark