guix-devel

Re: rust work in progress conflicts

From: Alex Griffin
Subject: Re: rust work in progress conflicts
Date: Thu, 05 May 2016 09:46:26 -0500

On Thu, May 5, 2016, at 08:35 AM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

> Yeah it’s OK to do it in the order: write the package bootstrapped from
> the binary blob, and then work on bootstrapping it from OCaml.

I do not think that bootstrapping Rust from OCaml is a practical goal.
When you guys have talked about bootstrapping gcc from an older version,
I don't think it has involved even a dozen gcc versions, let alone 319!
It's a huge amount of work, to the point where it may even be easier to
write a new Rust compiler from scratch. Even if it succeeded, it would
take over a full week to build the current Rust release, meanwhile OCaml
requires a blob anyway.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but in any case I don't think it's
reasonable to expect Jelle Licht to take on this project just because he
assumed the mantle of rustc packager.
--
Alex Griffin