guix-devel

Re: Why do we use ".../share/emacs/site-lisp/guix.d/"?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Why do we use ".../share/emacs/site-lisp/guix.d/"?
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 23:15:24 +0200

Alex Kost <address@hidden> skribis:

> Federico Beffa (2016-05-09 09:42 +0300) wrote:
>
>> On Sun, May 8, 2016 at 9:51 PM, Alex Kost <address@hidden> wrote:

[...]

>> * It also makes it obvious that packages into that directory are
>> installed in a guix specific way. Therefore, if you try to use them
>> with an emacs from a foreign distro, you know that you have to do
>> something to make them work.
>
> You don't have to do anything to make them work if you use emacs from
> Guix.  Also I don't think that making it obvious that this is a guix
> specific directory is needed.  Moreover it may be confusing (see [1]).
> I would wonder why there is this an additional layer in elisp hierarchy,
> and I actually wonder… I mean I don't like it.
>
>> I'm therefore in favor of keeping "guix.d".
>
> OK, I see.  So it's 1 for keeping "guix.d" part and 1 for removing it.
> Please people give your opinions!

Let’s make sure we understand each other before we vote.  :-)

Federico suggests above that having “guix.d” makes it clear that a
non-Guix-installed Emacs on a foreign distro may not be able to use
those packages.

I think that’s a reasonable concern, and probably a sufficient reason
for the status quo.

WDYT?

Ludo’.