guix-devel

Re: How should I set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable?

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: How should I set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable?
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 21:09:15 +0200

Hi Matthew,

> With reference to the email titled "[WIP Patch] address@hidden address@hidden
> address@hidden
> compilers" dated "Wed 18 May 2016".

I’ve seen that email.  Good job!

> How/where should I add the following snippet for setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> in the address@hidden package lib output?

It should not be set at all.  LD_LIBRARY_PATH is a hack, which can be
used to temporarily trick a binary into loading a debug library.  It is
no to be used in production.

Instead, we should make the “go” packages find the libraries they need
using the RUNPATH feature or similar.  I haven’t looked at the drafts
for the “go” packages myself yet, but we encountered similar problems in
a couple of other packages; we fixed those by explicitly setting the
RUNPATH with linker flags or by patching the build system.

Without a closer look at the build system we won’t be able to suggest
how to solve the issue in this particular case, though.

~~ Ricardo