guix-devel

Re: [Patch] Add python-rope

From: Ben Woodcroft
Subject: Re: [Patch] Add python-rope
Date: Sat, 21 May 2016 09:53:27 +1000

Hi Lukas,

Thank you for the patch.

On 21/05/16 00:28, Lukas Gradl wrote:
Hello,

This patch adds the Rope refactoring library for python.
I am only interested in this package as a dependency of elpy.

Looking forward to trying elpy out.

There is no particular reason why the old (0.10.2) would be needed,
AFAIK.

OK. Is it necessary then? We try not to keep old packages around if possible.

There are some tests that fail on the python-3 version.  According to
this (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rope-dev/rmimG01CHUk),
upstream seems to have no particular interest in fixing that at the
moment.
The rope_py3k doesn't appear to be maintained, the repository at https://bitbucket.org/zjes/rope-0.9.3_py3k/ has been deleted and the last release was in 2013. Do you use this library yourself? Otherwise it is an unmaintained library lacking unit tests. If you are confident of including it I'd say rename it to rope_py3k as it is more than a fork of rope, commit it separately, and enable tests where possible (most pass according to your link). WDYT?

Do you know if the rope you have packaged for python2 works on python3 ? I did some digging, the short answer to this question is no, not yet, unfortunately.
https://github.com/python-rope/rope/issues/57

I'll only review the address@hidden for now then.

+(define-public python2-rope
+  (package
+    (name "python2-rope")
+    (version "0.10.3")
+    (source
+     (origin
+      (method url-fetch)
+      (uri (pypi-uri "rope" version))
+      (sha256
+        (base32
+         "18k5znhpwvrfck3yp0jmhd5j8r0f0s8bk1zh5yhs2cfgmfhbwigb"))))
+    (arguments
+     `(#:python ,python-2))
Might be good to add a comment here saying only python2 is supported, with a URL so that later we can check on progress.
+    (build-system python-build-system)
+    (native-inputs
+     `(("python2-unittest2" ,python2-unittest2)
+       ("python2-setuptools" ,python2-setuptools)))
+    (home-page "http://rope.sf.net/")
https://github.com/python-rope/rope might be a better choice since the sf address redirects there.
+    (synopsis "Refactoring library for Python")
+    (description "Rope is a Refactoring library for Python.")
Would it be possible to expand on this description, perhaps with a few examples of refactoring processes? Also s/Refactoring/refactoring/.
+    (license gpl2)))
+

Thanks.
ben