guix-devel

Re: Why do we use ".../share/emacs/site-lisp/guix.d/"?

From: Federico Beffa
Subject: Re: Why do we use ".../share/emacs/site-lisp/guix.d/"?
Date: Sat, 21 May 2016 12:47:03 +0200

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 11:00 PM, Alex Kost <address@hidden> wrote:
> Federico Beffa (2016-05-20 09:53 +0300) wrote:

[...]

>> (note 1): If you want an example look at emacs-slime.
>
> Sorry, I really don't understand what you want to illustrate with this
> example.

a package which includes sub-directories not including .el files.

>> Because I
>> prepared that package, I decided to use the emacs-build-system and so
>> the extra sub-directory doesn't reside directly under site-lisp.  But it
>
> What extra sub-directory do you mean?  Currently the package is
> installed in:
>
>   .../share/emacs/site-lisp/guix.d/slime-2.15/
>
> If we remove "guix.d", it will be:
>
>   .../share/emacs/site-lisp/slime-2.15/
>
> So what's the problem?

you can't distinguish it from a package installed with, say,
gnu-build-system including non elisp sub-directories. And you made
examples of them and said that you would prefer not to "fix" them.

I think you are missing the whole idea of the emacs-build-system. It
is intended to replicate the behavior of Emacs's packaging system,
that is to be used with emacs package tar files only. Emacs packages
are installed in ~.emacs.d/elpa and they are packaged do include
non-elisp files because Emacs run as a user has no permission to put
them in system locations. The  emacs-build-system simply replaces
~/.emacs.d/elpa with ~/.guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/guix.d.
That's all. For the rest the two systems are intended to behave the
same. If you change the location of files it's likely that the
packages will not work and you open a can of worms with infinite
fixes.

Regards,
Fede