guix-devel

Making local development easy

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Making local development easy
Date: Tue, 24 May 2016 20:25:45 +0200

Today I had a go at writing a dummy python library, and packaging it,
and then installing it within an environment, with the aim of
experimenting more with how Guix works, and to explore how Guix can be
used as a developer (with unpublished local packages).

There were several slight issues with this, but I got some help on IRC
to work around these.

The first, is that the hash is required, which I only had to compute
once, but if I wanted to change the package, I would have to update
this, which is prohibitive to local development. As an improvement to
this, could the hash be optional, and if it does not exist, be
calculated when the build is performed?

The second issue was getting the data to the store, as first I tried a
relative path, but that did not work, and ended up having to expose the
repository using a HTTP server, and access it over the loopback
interface. This again is rather prohibitive to local development. To
improve on this, could guix build do the insertion in to the store, such
that relative paths would work? This would allow just writing a
"guix.scm" file, which just uses (git-reference (url "./") (commit "HEAD")).

I'm not sure how this use case is perceived, but it seems to me that
supporting supporting use of Guix locally would be helpful, both in
terms of helping users just get things done, and supporting those who
also wish to contribute to Guix.

Any thoughts on this? I'm still learning about all of the Guix
internals, so I'm not sure how feasible the changes I mention above are.

Thanks,

Chris