guix-devel

feedback as solicited by Guix manual (Section 7.1.5)

From: Ethan Stefan Day
Subject: feedback as solicited by Guix manual (Section 7.1.5)
Date: Sun, 29 May 2016 20:45:18 -0400

Hello,

I just got finished setting up GuixSD on one of these
<https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/penguin-adelie-gnu-linux-laptop>, to
use as a fun/hacking box.  I hit a bump with partitioning the drive, but
managed to figure it out.  The Guix manual refers to the Parted manual
for an overview of partitioning, but the Parted manual no longer
provides that and instead references some other manual without providing
a link.  It was rather comical:

"Error, no bios_grub partition.  Grub not installed."
"Oh, well I made the root drive bootable.  Lets just reboot and see what
happens."
"BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP..."

I am running Gnome, and aside from video tearing and Icecat not
appearing in the activities view, things seem to be working fine.  I'll
be looking for ways to contribute once I have a better understanding of
the system.  Thanks for putting this together, and a particular thanks
to whoever packaged GHC (I have read that bootstrapping it can be tricky).

-Ethan Day