guix-devel

Re: qt: monolithic or modular?

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: qt: monolithic or modular?
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2016 22:30:32 +0200

Hi Efraim,

as you have noticed, I have created a wip-qt branch, mainly to test building
qtbase on mips. I removed the removal of mips; but it turns out that an input
is missing anyway. So I think we can include mips for the time being, it does
no harm and may serve as a reminder. It also builds on arm, which is a progress
compared to our current monolithic qt. So maybe the packages that depend on qt
will finally be available on arm again.

One thing I did not yet have time to do was to check whether all inputs were
referenced in the result; I would have expected that the base package would
require less inputs than the whole.

After that, I think we can push to master, as the new package is completely
independent of the old one, and nothing can break. I think it will serve no
purpose to keep the separate wip-qt branch, as each evaluation is quite
costly; this one took about 3,5 hours, and I just created the branch since
hydra was idle (which will hopefully change with the building of core-updates).
My apologies, since your patch did not apply any more, I copied and pasted
by hand and forgot to add you as a coauthor. We can correct this on master.

What do you think?

Andreas