guix-devel

Re: discussion: root password switch for next guixsd release

From: ng0
Subject: Re: discussion: root password switch for next guixsd release
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2016 00:48:26 +0000

On 2016-06-11(08:24:47-0400), Leo Famulari wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 07, 2016 at 10:17:02AM +0000, ng0 wrote:
> > Could we target a similar behavior for GuixSD for the next release,
> > where people could pass at least a password to startup parameters?
>
> I don't understand your use case fully, but would it suffice to provide
> the password in the operation system declaration, as described in 7.5.2
> User Accounts?

Insert/Load the guixsd image on a remote/local-remote system, provide
a password which is not empty, start an sshd (lsh/openssh) and be able
to do the installation this way... or at least let it be a step towards
remote setup, as there might be some more things needed for this.

> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/User-Accounts.html#User-Accounts

Possibly, if the image is created this way, but I was more thinking
of a possibility where you can pass a password before booting into
the setup.
This however might or might not be possible with the current way
release disks are produced.
I think gentoo's catalyst software produces an image with isolinux,
where you pass the things I mentioned to the kernel like
$kernel arg arg1 arg2 etc
or better:
gentoo dosshd passwd=foo

--