guix-devel

Re: How to deal with system-wide state databases

From: Roel Janssen
Subject: Re: How to deal with system-wide state databases
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 11:33:30 +0200

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Hello!
>
> Roel Janssen <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> How should we deal with mechanisms like this?  Should I change the
>> scrollkeeper
>> database directory per program, so in this case it becomes:
>> /gnu/store/xgbvyqs...-gparted-0.26.0/var/lib/scrollkeeper
>>
>> Or can we deal with this in a more cross-package way?
>
> Maybe we could add a profile hook to ‘%default-profile-hooks’ in (guix
> profiles)?

I think people only need Scrollkeeper when they wish to have the
documentation available in Yelp (GNOME's help browser).  So it only
affects a few people I believe.

Would it then still make sense?  Maybe this hook should only be active
when Yelp is installed in the profile on which the transaction
operates.  Is that possible?

With this construct, I'd have to patch out the 'scrollkeeper-update'
command from the GParted build system.

Kind regards,
Roel Janssen