guix-devel

Re: Adding wc to Bournish

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Adding wc to Bournish
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 10:34:04 +0200

Hello!

Efraim Flashner <address@hidden> skribis:

[...]

>> I prefer the approach Ricardo suggested, I think it’s more concise and
>> clearer:
>>
>>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-06/msg00525.html
>>
>> Also, note that @@ would not be needed here; @@ serves to access private
>> bindings within a specific module:
>>

>> https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/Using-Guile-Modules.html
>>
>> Last, do not miss the bit about docstrings at:
>>
>>   https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Formatting-Code.html
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> With these changes, we’re all set.  Thanks!
>
> I've attached another patch

Sorry for taking so long!  I’ve applied the patch with minor cosmetic
changes: procedure names, docstrings, and formatting (please take a
look).

>> From a GSoC viewpoint, I think we must move to the compilation part
>> now.  Specifically, I think the next step is to start parsing Bash
>> code.
>
> This part took much longer than I thought it would. Going forward I'll
> try to be more pro-active on IRC about asking for help.
>

>> For that we could use SILex + parse-lalr, but these are not the nicest
>> tools for the job.  Better tools would be “parsing expression grammars”
>> (the (ice-9 peg) module in Guile 2.1) or parser combinators, though I
>> don’t think there’s a directly usable Guile library for that.  Maybe
>> Eric or David can comment?
>>

> I get lalr as look-ahead left->right parser and found this¹, but what's SILex?

SILex is a lexer: it turns character sequences into tokens, that can
then be passed to the parser.

I think SILex no longer has a home on the Internet, but you can find a
copy at
<http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guile-rpc.git/tree/modules/silex>.
Guile-RPC uses both SILex and ‘parse-lalr’, so it could serve as an
example, but again, PEG is probably preferable (Dave’s
guile-parser-combinator library is not ready for prime time, per a
recent discussion on address@hidden)

>> The goal is to have a parser that returns an abstract syntax tree (AST)
>> as an sexp:
>>
>>   (parse "(cd /foo; ls $HOME) && echo *.a ; echo done")
>>   =>
>>   '(sequence
>>      (success-sequence
>>        (subshell
>>          (sequence (command "cd" "/foo")
>>                    (command "ls" (variable-ref "HOME"))))
>>        (command "echo" (glob "*.a")))
>>      (command "echo" "done"))
>>
>> Thoughts?

So let’s focus on this part now.  Feel free to ping me/us while
researching the best approach or tools to work on it!

Thanks,
Ludo’.