guix-devel

Re: CFP: GNU Hacker Meeting 2016

From: Catonano
Subject: Re: CFP: GNU Hacker Meeting 2016
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 19:39:00 +0200

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 09:56:35PM +0200, Mathieu Lirzin wrote:
> Hi,

> > Now is the time to register for the GNU Hackers Meeting!  The more, the
> > merrier!
> >
> >   https://gnunet.org/ghm2016
> >   https://www.gnu.org/ghm/upcoming.html
> >
> > I think we can give a few talks/demos, such as a status update, an
> > overview of Guix, an overview of GuixSD, something about reproducible
> > builds, the foo bar importer, pyrubygonpm packages, Cuirass, Bournish,
> > GNU/Hurd, etc.  Let’s coordinate!  Who’s in?  :-)
>
> After some hesitance, I have decided to propose a 20 min talk for
> Cuirass.
>
> > Maybe we could have a Guix hacking session, or hard-core technical
> > discussions among Guix hackers, if there’s interest.
> >
> > Thoughts?  Suggestions?
>
> I like the idea of a hacking session, however finding a common project
> to work on, seems hard.  It is likely to fall into a one person hacking
> session while the others are trying to figure out the basics without
> going anywhere.
>
> What would interest me most, would be to exchange on things that can be
> difficult to explain on IRC or a mailing list.  What I have in mind are
> things like:
>
> - Guile hacking tips
> - Subsystems code Analysis (build systems, importers, linter, ...)
> - Presentation of tools related to Guix (Autotools, Emacs, Graphviz, QEMU, ...)
>
> What do people think?
>
> --
> Mathieu Lirzin

Helping everyone be more efficient with the tools we normally use would
be great. I for one find emacs daunting, but even just getting the hang
of opening it up, using debbugs and some simple tasks without needing to
click on the toolbar on top would be good.

I won't be able to attend but if I could attend I'd love to participate in hands on sessions.

Just recently I explored the build systems code, I even wrote on the help mailing list as I was confused, I also tried to have a brief interactive session in a REPL with the store monad

In my opinion, showing that to people would be tremendously helpful.

As for Emacs, as I already have written on the libreplanet mailing list, I used to have a hard time with Emacs too and what allowed me to reach a turning point was an educational footage I bought on line from the then Peepcode, now Pluralsight.

So should you have hands on sessions, while there, showing people how to use Emacs and how it is supposed to be useful, and how to explore Guix subsystems, my suggestion is to record it all and later publish it.

This could make the event useful even to those who won't  participate.

Video footages are, in my view, a fundamental complement to written manuals.

The SICP wouldn't be the same without the video footages

Right now I am watching the "uncourse" about relational programming with MiniKanren.

So in person hands on sessions are the best option. Immediately after that, there are videos, videos, videos.

Manuals just don't cut it. In my view.