guix-devel

Re: guix revisions (Re: [Patch] Tmux Themepack)

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: guix revisions (Re: [Patch] Tmux Themepack)
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2016 11:45:20 -0400

On Sun, Jul 10, 2016 at 02:06:44PM +0000, ng0 wrote:
> A side question: We do guix revisions of packages? I know we had
> a discussion on this in the past which included the string-take
> commit 7 or 8, but even with using grep in the gnu/packages dir
> it's not obvious as egrep -nr 'revision "1"'
> for example just gives 5 results.
> So the documentation needs to be improved, I agree.

Without using a revision integer, `guix package --upgrade` will not work
correctly, since Git hashes do not increase (or decrease) reliably.

For example, the computer can't tell which of these two version strings
is the newer version:

"0.0.0-deadbeef"
"0.0.0-cabba9e"

Not all packages declare a revision variable, but I think it is helpful.

Any suggestions on improving this part of the manual? It *does*
explicity describe this problem and the solution. Should we add the
revision variable to the code example?