guix-devel

Re: Too many questions about texlive-texmf

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Too many questions about texlive-texmf
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 11:10:41 +0200

Efraim Flashner <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 09:42:34AM +0200, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
>>
>> Leo Famulari <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > We don't serve substitutes of texlive-texmf. We achieve this by
>> > configuring nginx to return "410 Gone" [0].
>> >
>> > This requires users to build it with '--fallback', and the Guix error
>> > message even recommends this, but many users ask about it on IRC.
>> >
>> > I think we should mark it '#:substitutable? #f' so that, IIUC, Guix will
>> > download and build texlive-texmf from the upstream source automatically,
>> > without stopping or requiring users to use '--fallback'.
>>
>> Does this cause substitutes to be disabled for all packages that depend
>> on texlive-texmf?

No, it just sets a flag in the texlive-texmf derivation itself (search
for “substituable?” in (guix derivations)).

> Based on the notes in maths.scm on
> openblas, `#:substitutable? #f' also disables offloading,

I don’t see this comment, but this bug was fixed last year:
<http://bugs.gnu.org/18747>.  :-)

So I think Leo’s suggestion is a good one.  I believe only texlive-texmf
itself needs #:substitutable? #f.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.