guix-devel

Re: ARM: Installation and Booting; was: Re: GuixSD on ARM;

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: ARM: Installation and Booting; was: Re: GuixSD on ARM;
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 18:20:59 +0200

Hi Danny,

thanks for your insightful comments and starting work on uboot!

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 11:11:36AM +0200, Danny Milosavljevic wrote:
> If you do use SATA, you still need to put U-Boot on SD or the Flash. U-Boot
> has SATA support so it can load Grub etc from the hard drive.

Their argument is that you may as well use USB, with USB-3.1 in the future.
I am more surprised by the absence of ethernet in EOMA68.

> The Allwinner A20 is quite slow by today's standards. Not Raspberry Pi slow -
> but maybe 4 times as fast as it. Compiling useful things take a long time
> (read: Linux kernel takes days to compile). However, I think it's more
> trustworty than the usual x86_64-nobody-knows-what-it's-doing - so I still
> compile things directly on it, if possible.

Did you try installing Guix on it? This should work and allow you to use
binary substitutes for armhf, I think.

Andreas