guix-devel

Re: ‘guix publish’ now compresses archives

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: ‘guix publish’ now compresses archives
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 12:03:31 +0200

On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 08:29:15AM +0200, Tomáš Čech wrote:
> I was thinking that we could (and should) add some optional support
> for metadata which could describe the origin of the package. It could
> contain:
> - Guix GIT revision used
> - differences against GIT revision
> - local package recipe
> - exported dependency tree of package recipes
> - optionally URL where missing dependencies can be found

The package would need to be signed and contain all its dependencies.
This is what guix archive does when you add some metadata.

The size of the package does not matter (much). If Docker can be
popular...

I agree it would be an idea to decouple from publish daemons in the
form of downloadable files. Nix had this feature - not sure it is still
there.

Pj.