guix-devel

Re: Guix-devel Digest, Vol 37, Issue 133

From: David Craven
Subject: Re: Guix-devel Digest, Vol 37, Issue 133
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 15:42:52 +0200

> I don't think this needs to be a thing.  While I personally added the
> code in the cpan importer to sort inputs by name, I recognize that
> there are also valid reasons to not do that in some packages.  E.g.
> grouping a set of inputs that are all related to or required for some
> aspect of a package's functionality, etc.

1. A lint warning is just that a warning. I think in most cases there
is no reason
not sort them alphabetically.

2. The ordering may seem logical to the person who wrote the package initially,
but then the next person comes along and modifies it. Over time we get a mess
and whatever structure the initial author had in mind has disappeared.