guix-devel

Re: Guix-devel Digest, Vol 37, Issue 133

From: Thompson, David
Subject: Re: Guix-devel Digest, Vol 37, Issue 133
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 11:51:53 -0400

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 11:18 AM, David Craven <address@hidden> wrote:
> Some basic USE flags would be nice, even if it's just used for
> documenting which configure-flags and inputs are needed for which
> feature. I think this would also resolve the sorting inputs
> alphabetically issue, since there would be real metadata there instead
> of just a source comment.

USE flags a la Gentoo are not compatible with Guix because it means
that package expressions are no longer self-contained and rely upon
external global state.  That means that builds are no longer
deterministic.

When the result of building a package with all the bells and whistles
is too bulky, we make variants that are more stripped down.

> This requires python2-sphinx to be installed when building even if you
> are not interested in the doc output.

Which is fine.  When downloading a substitute of either output,
python2-sphinx shouldn't be referenced and thus does not need to be
installed.

- Dave